Monday, August 1, 2011

painting on Bumpkin Island

New England Pleinair painters were invited to to paint  2 of the Boston Harbor Islands, Bumpkin and Grape Islands.  I chose to paint Bumpkin Island which is completely covered with sumac and short scrub brush. The only place to paint is the coast line.  In the Early 1900's the Island was used by native Americans for farming.  It's a national park managed by the Massachusetts Department of conservation and recreation.

the weather forecast was hot, in the nineties.  The water taxi arrived on Island around 9:30.  I normally enjoy the early light but today we were getting a late start.  My good friend Stapleton kearns and I along with Bill Hanson, found a wonderful shady area on the eastern side of the Island with an offshore breeze that kept the temperature at a tolerable level.  The low tide revealed some large glacial rocks with plenty of texture and color.  I love painting rocks.  They are very difficult to paint.  My good friend Julien Beard, when he owned a gallery once said to me,  "Sergio,  don't paint rocks until you are until you know how to paint rocks"  If they are not painted  correctly,  it will ruin the painting. It's so easy to make them look like potatoes. One needs to observe them with a sharp eye and concentration and not rush them. Once they are painted accurately,  the painting will emerge with life and give the artist much self satisfaction.


I was satisfied with the finished product.  I used a 10x18  mounted canvas on birch panel that I have made for me by New Traditions art panels in Utah. They come primed and are very light for travel.
The paintings were to be auctioned off later that evening for the South Shore Art Center in Cohasset MA.  All in All it was a fun time and allowed me to paint with my good friend Stape.  Painting is a solitary profession.  and we are alone most of the time and any opportunity to meet a good friend to paint with we welcome with enthusiasm.  My good friend and one of the best maritime painters in this century, Yves Parent,  passed away a few weeks ago,  Everytime I look at his work on my wall, I still can't believe it. I will think of him always as I paint the shoreline.  He will be missed....

                                           World's End in Winter  24x36


 to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment